Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1, 2011

On this day I was out skiing by myself, practicing good fore aft movement using a rounded back.  And limiting the ankle flexion being used at the end of the turn, regardless of my turn size, when suddenly I noticed a new feeling.  I decided to exaggerate my lateral movement. Ie. when I start the turn, moving my body to the outside of the turn so that it feels like my body is right over top of the outside ski for a split second.  It is weird because it feels like you are actively moving your body on a path which follows the skis but is slightly to the inside.  I have heard coaches talk about this but never actually felt it.  It was weird.  It gave the sensation of what you would feel if you were in a ride that was going around in circles, your body being pressed up against the cage.  Kind of like what you feel when you are in a tilt a whirl.  You can't be too far forward in order to get the feeling, and you have to make an active attempt to throw your body to the outside of the turn, or else you don't feel it.  You also have to time it with good ankle extension. 

You can kind of see how it works from this video
Notice how the skier(s) actively move their body to the outside of the turn, just after intiation.  It helps that there is a gate there to see the timing with the gate as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment